Coffee Culture In 2016
Like most cultures, coffee culture is no different really. A group of people brought together by a common fuorihost interest. What better place than a coffee shop. There is always a buzz, and hive of activity. It attracts in some ways, so many like minded people, and in other ways such a variety. From businessmen, to housewives, students to teachers. Hundreds of years ago, they were popular meeting places for artists. A few years ago, Wine Masters were popping up everywhere, and now the latest trend seems to be becoming a Barrister. We were fortunate enough to be able to interview Winston, one of the top up and coming Barristers in the Country.
These days no matter where I am, or what I am doing, coffee seems to be screaming out at me! Coffee culture, coffee culture! Most people have coffee making machines, and there are shops dedicated to selling only coffee. We are so spoilt for choice, that it is difficult to know which coffee to drink, when, where and why? I am attending a Barristers course early next month, and will be back with loads more information on what all the different coffee beans are, and how to choose between them.
Meanwhile, not sure about you, but I am getting extremely confused between the different ways to drink coffee. Gone are the days when we only had the choice between an espresso and a cappuccino. And worse still, when I grew up, we either had instant or percolated coffee. Now we have a whole range of ways to drink our coffee:
– Latte: A coffee mixed with a frothed milk foam.
– Americana: Made by adding hot water to a mug with a tot of espresso coffee in it.
– Iced Coffee: Chilled coffee with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.
– Cappuccino: A cup of coffee covered in a layer of frothed milk foam.
– Skinny Cappuccino. The same as a cappuccino, but made with fat free milk.
– Flat white: A cup of coffee with milk.
– Espresso: Extremely strong, and dense, with “crema” (coffee foam on the top). Hence, café crema being an alternative name for an Italian espresso.
– Macchiato: A cup of frothed milk, filled up with an espresso coffee.
– Moccachino: A café latte with chocolate added to it.
– Frappe. A coffee with ice, served black or white.